Friday, January 25, 2013

Litany Limitation


TO my Best Friend, Demetria
 
You are the peanut and the butter,
the aloe and to my sunburn.
You are the reeses
and the pieces.
You are the giggle,
and the joke.

However, you are not the jiggle in my thighs,

The rain in the clouds,
or the stink to the barn.
And you are certainly not ache to my head.
There is just no way that you are the ache to my head.

It is possible that you are the butter to my biscuit,
maybe even the best to my friend,
but you are not even close
to being the scum between my toes.

And a quick look in the mirror will show
that you are neither the grounds in my coffee
nor the rock in my boots.

It might interest you to know,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
that I am the support to your bra.

I also happen to be the popsicle to your 4th of July,
the insulin to your pump
and the blood to your sugar.

I am also the skip in your step

and the hot to your cocoa .
But don't worry, I'm not the peanut and the butter.
You are still the peanut and the butter.
You will always be the peanut and the butter,
not to mention the aloe and--somehow—the sunburn.

2 comments:

  1. I thought your poem was really cute. I loved the line "However, you are not the jiggle in my thighs". Thanks for the giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I love it that you've come up with multiple images of things that are uncomfortable (like a sunburn, a rock in a boot, coffee grounds). It's powerful, then, when you begin and end with the idea of a sunburn. I suppose it's true of all friends that they sooth and occasionally sting. In this case, the sting is usually worth it to us because we enjoyed ourselves in the sun. Thanks! One format note: can you change your settings so that the font is easier to read?

    ReplyDelete